Last week I really felt like cooking. I think it was when Lawrence and I went with Ally to the Italian restaurant, Lago, at the Promenade in Santa Monica. They have a dish called "Risotto di Zucca e Capesante," which is risotto with butternut squash with seared scallops and a balsamic glaze.
I wanted to make a butternut squash risotto dish so I Googled it and found this: Butternut Squash Risotto.
With guests coming on Sunday (Lawrence's cousins), I also wanted to make a small dessert item for them. I decided on Bailey's Irish Cream Truffles because I had made them several years ago with the Shoujo Club girls at Berkeley.
I spent Saturday afternoon cooking...and it actually turned out fairly well! Lawrence only had a spoonful but he said it was only "okay." :( I packed some for his lunch on Monday and when he came home he said that it was surprisingly good! I guess he didn't get a good taste the first time, but when he sat down and ate it he was able to enjoy it.
The truffles turned out okay even though I totally screwed up. It was only after I put the truffle ganache in the fridge to harden that I realized I forgot to put in the Bailey's. I was following the truffle recipe on Cooking for Engineers, but that was just a normal truffle recipe. I added cinnamon to the cocoa powder and powdered sugar used to coat the truffles so they would have some additional flavor.
The texture of the risotto after being in the fridge for a few days reminds me of a Chinese dish that I think is literally translated as "vegetable rice". It's been so long since I've had it but I think it had some leafy sort of vegetable mixed with glutinous rice and chunks of yam. I'll have to ask my mom about it. Yesterday night I bought some baby bok choy to add to the risotto leftovers so that there's more veggie content and to break up the thick texture so it won't be so buttery and heavy.
No comments:
Post a Comment