Tuesday, June 29, 2010

cooking

From Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything:
- Black Beans and Rice
- Lentils and Potatoes

From Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice:
- Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup

Soup turned out great. For the black beans and rice, I used canned instead of the dry beans called for in the recipe. I think I needed much more water while it baked because the rice took a long time and was still pretty hard by the time I was done. I guess I thought as long as the stuff was liquid, the rice would be getting water - not true. I used red lentils instead of the brown called for in the other recipe. Apparently red lentils cook A LOT faster. It was my first time cooking lentils and I wayyy overcooked it. It turned out to be more of a mashed lentils and potatoes dish than anything resembling an Indian dal.

In the end, I didn't get to do more than taste a few partial spoonfuls of each. It's almost 2am and I'm too tired to be hungry. Ordinarily I'd be fine but I had a workout tonight and I probably really need the protein. :/

Oh, and by the way, tonight's workout:

3 sets of 10 reps each of the following series (using a 45 lb. bar)
- partial deadlift
- bent-over row
- clean
- squat
- press

No comments: