Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"Discussions"

It gets so frustrating having discussions about controversial subjects with Lawrence. They often turn into something more like arguments. It's hard for me to distance myself emotionally from the subject matter when it's something that I feel strongly about. This makes it worse for me because I can't put my thoughts into a coherent argument...and I don't even know if I have a valid argument or not.

I do appreciate his efforts to get me to think about the world differently, but it's hard because I feel like I've already done so much solidification of my worldviews while in high school and college.

Is science as a worldview the same as religions as worldviews? I feel that science is separate but not mutually exclusive from religion. They're just different things like how the subject of math is different from the subject of history. Lawrence would argue that I only feel this way because I grew up in a society that taught me to think secularly. If I grew up in a more religious culture, religion would tinge everything in the world around me. Scientific arguments would have no weight. Religion and science are both ways in which we interpret the world around us, and he would argue that as worldviews, their relative utility is irrelevant so I can't use that as a reason for denying them equal status.

1 comment:

B L T said...

i disagree. i started reading 'the god delusion,' and he brings up a really good point that religious people often times denounces science, and says it has no weight in its ideology, but this is usually the case when the science doesn't support religion. if there were scientific research that upheld religious tenants, such as Jesus's existence, the religious community would be backing the results wholeheartedly.