Thursday, April 15, 2010
exploring downtown
I walked around a part of downtown I had never explored today. Lunch was at the LA Cafe (on the same block as Syrup Desserts - Spring St. between 6th & 7th). I had a Shanghai Salad - pricey at close to $10 but decently sized with lots of chicken & fried wonton strips. Passed by Cole's which serves french dipped sandwiches. Coworker said it was NOT good. Phillippe's remains our french dip goto place. Next door was Blu LA Cafe with a gorgeous photo of a juicy burger. Reviews on Yelp look mixed. Next to that was Babycakes. We stopped by to sample their baked goods - mostly cupcakes. They specialize in gluten-free/vegan cupcakes. They use spelt, a wheat variant, agave as sweetener instead of sugar, and are dairy-, egg-, and soy-free. I got a red velvet. Definitely interesting. Not light and fluffy but I like the frosting (there'st just enough and it's not a sugary monstrosity of death). Note: I am not a cupcake connoisseur.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment