Monday, May 10, 2010

bollocks

...is a funny British exclamation meaning "testicles" and often used to mean "nonsense".  It also has nothing to do with this post.  I just heard it used in How I Met Your Mother and thought about how I always liked the sound of that word as an exclamation!

So I'm finally getting over my cold.  It started the Monday after the Grilled Cheese Festival, so I'm on my third week now.  Lawrence went up to San Francisco last week for work so I'd been at home by myself, feeling horribly sick.  I didn't take care of myself at all, eating junk and playing Heroes of Might & Magic III until 2:30am.  Saturday I felt well enough to go to the self defense class Melody was hosting, but...I didn't eat anything substantial the entire day.  Since Friday night, pretty much all I had were some Japanese crackers I splurged on (ugh...4 packages of rice crackers, potato chips, puffs, and more rice crackers).  So by Saturday evening I had a killer migraine, I was feeling totally out of it, dehydrated, a little nauseous, and just absolutely horrible all around.

I called Lawrence and he recommended I take a few big gulps of the strawberry kefir we have so that I can quickly get some sugars absorbed into my system, and then take an emergency can of Campbell's chunky chicken noodle soup so I could get some more carbs and some sodium to retain fluids.  It definitely helped and I felt much better by the time I went to sleep.

Today, I felt well enough to go to a workout session.  Melody had me work with kettlebells, so while it was some strength training, there was definitely a cardio component to it.  I was definitely still recovering and couldn't finish the rest of the way.  I got winded with a 2 sets of one-handed swings as well as a set of double swings to go.

I stopped by Gelson's on my way home to use the $5 coupon I got in the mail.  I got a ton of stuff for breakfast (need to stop going to Europane because it's too yummy for my own good) and plenty of veggies to cook with.  I really feel like some wild rice mushroom soup right now too.  I'm planning to go to Whole Foods in a little bit to pick up some wild rice.

Since I've been spending so much time at home, Muffin has gotten more snuggly with me than she has been for the past few weeks.  Right now, she's sleeping on my one leg that's propped up against the other.  :)

There was a Ravelry thread I was reading that really got me riled up though I'm not sure in which direction.  It was about feminism, male empowerment, equality, and the progress of female equality.  I'll save the details for another post.

No comments: