Tuesday, May 11, 2010

grandiose music

I've been on a quest lately to find more of specific types of music to add to my playlist.  One of those types is "grandiose" or "epic" sounding pieces.

Here's a list of what I've accumulated so far:
1) Aaron Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man
2) the theme to Star Trek: The Next Generation
3) the theme to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
4) the theme to Star Trek: Voyager
5) the piece He's a Pirate from Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
6) A Dark Knight from The Dark Knight (actually, pretty much all of the pieces from the soundtrack)
7) Molossus and Eptesicus from Batman Begins
8) Creating Governing Dynamics from A Beautiful Mind
9) a bunch of stuff from E. S. Posthumous that I've listened to way too many times now

Yes, my list is limited to the movies I've actually watched (very few and limited to pretty much the past 10 years or so).  Maybe it's because I grew up watching TNG, or because I'm a big science fiction fan, but I LOVE the feelings that the Star Trek themes evoke in me.  It brings me back to my junior high and high school days when I read about and imagined a world with interstellar travel, advanced civilizations, and a sense of immense vastness.

No comments: