Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sledgehammers, Ropes, and Indian Clubs

Last Thursday Lawrence didn't go with me to Melody's place because he had a killer stress-induced migraine. Last night he was able to go with me to her house for some sledgehammer fun.

Thursday:
20 swings on each side using a 6lb sledgehammer.
Pick up a 25lb (I think?) sandbag over head and walk across the concrete.
Do 20 (?) suitcase squats with two 26lb kettlebells.
Swing a 36lb kettlebell 20 times.
Do a double wave pattern on the ropes for 20 seconds.
Pick up the sandbag over head and walk back across the concrete.
Repeat all this 3 times.

Monday:
30 swings on each side using a 10lb sledgehammer.
Pick up a 35lb or 15lb sandbag over head and walk across the concrete.
Touch the sandbag to the ground and then over each shoulder, alternating, 20 times.
Lift the sandbag from one shoulder, over your head, to the other shoulder, 20 times.
Swing a 26lb kettlebell 20 times.
Do 20 suitcase squats with two 26lb kettlebells.
Do an alternating double wave pattern on the ropes for 20 seconds.
Pick up the sandbag over head and walk back across the concrete.
Repeat once.

Lawrence was starting to feel nauseous after the 2nd set of 60 sledgehammer swings. I wasn't that bad off, but then I hadn't reached my 2nd set of sledgehammer swings yet. We took a break and went inside the house. Instead of finishing the set, Melody showed us her Indian clubs and we did a two routines with the 2lb clubs. First, we held both clubs parallel to swing them straight down reaching behind our legs, then we swung them in an arc in front of us, over our head to reach toward our back, then back forward again to the end position of vertically parallel at our chest. The second exercise, we crossed the clubs and swung them down and out to the sides in a circular motion up over our heads and back into the vertically parallel end position.

Next workout is Thursday night, 8pm at the gym.

3 comments:

Kenrick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kenrick said...

This is one of the more bizarre things I have read. I hope it's fun? and working out for you.

matikin9 said...

Haha, yeah, it's fun. It's been working out really well actually. I feel like I've gotten stronger and built up more stamina. I like going all out and exerting myself - which I can do with the sledgehammers and with the occasional kickboxing.