Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Creamy Yogurt

I've been trying out various brands of Greek yogurt ever since I first heard about it on the Body4Life forums, and then later on the Ravelry forums. Greek yogurt is thicker and creamier than American yogurt. It's also less tangy and I loooove it! The ones that I've seen also do not use HFCS. It may have a lot of fat, but it really fills me up in the mornings. It's got lots of proteins and none of the sweeteners and additives of the regular yogurts (Yoplait, Dannon, etc.). Even with the added fruit flavors, it's not too sweet.

Fage is one of the popular and more widely available brands but I actually haven't tried it. Trader Joe's has their own brand which is pretty good. There's also Oikos (from Stonyfield Farm), which I have not tried, and The Greek Gods, which I have (it's okay). Recently, however, I bought a Canadian brand I found at Gelson's...just to try it. This stuff was SO GOOD - it's "Mediterranee" by a brand called Liberte. It's very rich and creamy - omg, soooo goood.

I used to buy yogurt on sale at $.50 a cup and then eat 2 cups for breakfast. Each cup of this yogurt is probably fewer ounces, costs around $1.50, but I only need to eat one in the morning and I'm happy. It also beats going to Starbucks and buying some sugar-filled pastry. I'm going to check in on Gelson's whenever I walk home and seriously stock up if this stuff ever goes on sale.

No comments: