A few months ago we bought a cup of Japanese-style custard pudding (with caramel on the bottom, like flan) from the Marukai in Little Tokyo. Lawrence picked it up on a whim. It was some of the most heavenly pudding I've ever had in my life. Lawrence was determined to figure out how to make it and started researching the moment we got home.
After much searching on Google, he combined various recipes to make his own version of this Japanese pudding. He experimented a bit with the caramel as his initial attempts were too bitter. We bought cheesecloth to strain the milk/egg mixture. We also used whole vanilla bean pods so that we could scrape out the seeds. We even bought 2 sets of ramekins.
It turned out SO good. Lawrence made two batches, the second one perfecting the mistakes made in the first batch. Unfortunately, over the holidays when I requested he make more, he realized he forgot the exact recipe specifications he used. I'm going to make him write a blog entry for me so we have it archived. The stuff is too good to forget how to make.
No comments:
Post a Comment