Monday, March 22, 2010

San Francisco trip - Friday

A few weeks ago it was suddenly decided we would go up to San Francisco for the weekend.  Josh and Lawrence needed to be in SF for a food tasting for one of their truck concepts.  I guess they decided to make a weekend out of it so I went up too.  Sonny, Josh's girlfriend was also there.  The tasting was on Friday.  Lawrence flew out of LAX at 6:30am.  I was going to as well but our plans were too last minute.  Instead, I left straight from work and took the FlyAway shuttle from Union Station to LAX.

I was really nervous the whole time because I was by myself.  I've gotten so used to having Lawrence around that having to do things like that by myself feels really weird.  Also, Lawrence didn't know where the Long Term Parking lot was and ended up parking in the lot across from the terminal, which charges $30/day.  I needed to get there early enough to move the car to long term parking.  Of course, I look up the maps for LAX way in advance and plan out my schedule with the bus times so that I have plenty of time to do all this.  I had plenty of time to spare, but I still got a little nauseous from the anxiety.  I speculated at Lawrence that this is why I've always tried to maintain a calm relaxed state, partitioning my mind so that I don't think about certain things.  If I'm constantly thinking about and worrying over everything at once like Lawrence does, I can get physically ill from the anxiety.

The flight was fine, just a little bit of scary turbulence and more anxiety.  I got onto the AirTrain, then the BART.  I helped some people figure out the BART ticketing system (Is it really so difficult?!  I suppose if you're in a rush and you don't read the instructions).  The others were already eating dinner in Chinatown so I had to take a taxi there.  I'm pretty sure that was the first time I had ever flagged down and took a taxi for myself, ever.  It wasn't so bad I suppose - the taxi driver didn't try to talk to me much.  I hate having to make small talk with random people cause I really don't know how to do it right.  O_o  Anyway, we ate at Yuet Lee.  We had crab, clams, some veggies, sweet/sour pork.  It was decently good but Josh didn't think it was anything special.  I suppose you have to think about it in the right way.  It's about as good as San Francisco Chinese food gets.  One can not compare that with the variety and quality of Chinese food available in Los Angeles.  That night we stayed at the Grand Hyatt on Union Square.

No comments: