Today was a day of body weight exercises - squats and push-ups.
15x each:
- basic squats
- basic push-ups
- hindu squats
- shoulder push-ups
- jump squats
- hindu push-ups
- lunges with hands touching the ground in front on the forward step
- scorpion push-ups
- lying on your back, lift yourself up as high as you can go on your hands and feet to stretch your chest
- lifting yourself up on your back with your hands, keeping your body and legs straight (resting on your heels), left one leg up while keeping the other straight and vice versa
- kneeling, put your hands on the back of your thighs, and bend your upper body backwards as far as you can go, and then bring yourself back up
I mentioned to my trainer that I ran 6.5 miles on the elliptical this weekend. She said that it was actually better for me to do it on the elliptical than on the treadmill. The elliptical is low impact on the joints, reducing injuries from running. However, because of that impact, the treadmill has the benefit of building more bone strength. Apparently, they both burn calories at comparable rates. The elliptical gives you the benefit of burning those calories with less perceived effort (from the lack of strain on your joints). Lawrence feels that there is still controversy over which is "better", but now I don't feel like I'm cheating for running my miles on the elliptical. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment