Thursday, August 6, 2009

Barbell exercises

Today I used the barbell. I'm not sure how heavy it was...there were 2 plates on each side that said 7.5 (lbs?) plus a smaller one that may have been 2.5 (lbs?). However, that adds up to close to 40lbs, and that sounds like too much.

- First exercise, lift the barbell to shoulder height. As Melody put it, don't lift it with your arms, put your arms under it. I'm not sure I described that correctly, but I think it's to reduce strain and risk of injury. From shoulder height, press the barbell up. These are full body moves that require strength from your legs as well. I had to do as many as I could, with a goal of getting past 15. I made it to 25, w00t!
- With the barbell lifted at shoulder height, do 15 squats.
- Holding on to the barbell with both hands, do 15 one-legged deadlifts on each leg.
- With just two 7.5 lb plates on the barbell, do 15 one arm overhead barbell presses. I did 15 with my right arm, but only got to 8 on my left arm.
- Lastly, I did 15 barbell rollouts.

No comments: