Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Parents

I had lunch with my parents on Sunday. I taught my dad HTML in the afternoon. It's interesting talking to them about various issues because most of our conversation for the past 5 years consisted of them complaining about me or trivial daily talk. We started talking about religion, and it only came up because I didn't know the name for Christianity in Mandarin. I brought up a bunch of other religions that I didn't know the Mandarin names for, and Lawrence brought up Scientology. It turns out my parents even know about Scientology! Haha, initially it was the religion that Tom Cruise is into, but my mom told us about how there were people she knew who got into Scientology. She had a middle school friend who used to be a devout Buddhist, vegetarian and all. Turns out she had a change of heart and turned to Scientology. My mom, and I love her for this, exclaimed at how she could drop one thing she devoutly believed in and pick out another devout belief. It didn't make sense to her that one could just pick and choose a religion, swapping for other religions whenever one felt like it. I agree. Go mom!

1 comment:

B L T said...

funny how as we get older, parents get less frustrating (usually) and 'cuter'. maybe because they don't seem so menacing anymore?